September 10, 2012 — Hurricane Leslie is forecast to hit the Burin, Avalon and Bonavista peninsulas overnight bringing high winds and heavy rainfall. South Coast Insurance urges residents to prepare an emergency kit and take precautions to protect themselves and their personal property.
Emergency kit checklist:
- Water – 2 litres per person per day
- Food that won’t spoil (canned food, granola bars, dried fruit and nuts, etc)
- Manual can opener
- Flashlights and batteries
- Battery-powered or wind-up radio
- First aid kit
- Prescription medicine
- Extra keys for your car and house
- Cash – smaller bills and change in case ATMs are not working
Click here for information on protecting your home and yourself.
For more information, and to download a mobile app, visit: www.getprepared.gc.ca .